This recipe is gluten free and simple to make. I have always loved pot roast. I feel it is one meal that is all about the meat. The roast is so tender it fell apart while plating it for the picture. Takes just a few minutes to prepare and then hours to cook. Just pop it in the oven and walk away.
- 2.19 lb beef chuck petite boneless pot roast
- 2 medium sweet vidalia onions
- 8 ounces baby carrots (approximately half of a 16 ounce bag)
- 6 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 6 stalks of celery (destringed and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (crushed)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted sweet cream butter
- 2 cans Swanson vegetarian vegetable broth (14 ounce cans)
- 1/4 cup milk
- sweet rice flour
- I begin by adding the olive oil to my dutch oven and coating the bottom of the dutch oven with it.
- Next, peel and cut the onions into large chunks and cover the entire bottom of the dutch oven. This is our first layer and the base for the roast to rest on. Place the roast in the center of the dutch oven, on top of the onions and not touching the sides.
- Next, firmly pack the large potato chunks, baby carrots, and sliced celery around the sides of the roast, filling the entire space. Pack tightly and do not pile anything higher than the top of the roast itself.
- Top the roast with the minced garlic first and spread it in with a spoonula. Then sprinkle in the spices, making sure to get them all on top of the roast itself. Slice Two 1 tablespoon pats of butter off a stick and place them on top of the roast. Carefully add the 2 cans of vegetable broth being sure to pour to the side of the roast and not over the top to keep the spices in place.
- Cover and bring just to a boil then place in a preheated oven (275 degrees) for between 3 and 5 hours. It can be eaten at 3 hours but it only gets more tender the more it cooks. I wouldn't go past 5(recommended) though. The house smells so good while this is cooking.
- Remove the roast from the pan. Remove the vegetables. Add the 1/4 cup of milk and sprinkle sweet rice flour in to thicken sauce into a gravy while stirring constantly and vigorously.
- Put roast and the vegetables back in the dutch oven and smother in gravy. Return to the oven for 15 more minutes uncovered.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 436g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 38||13%|
|Total Fat 4.36g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0.88g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 56.63g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.7g||29%|