- 3Â 1/2 lb pot roast - (to 4 lbs) lean chuck,
- Â Â bottom round, etc.
- 1/2 c. flour seasoned with
- Â Â salt and pepper
- 1/2 lrg red onion minced
- 1 pkt dry exotic mushrooms - (shiitake, porcini, woodear, etc.)
- 8 ounce fresh button mushrooms
- 3/4 c. good red wine (Merlot)
- 1 x bay leaf
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl or possibly c., cover the dry mushrooms with very warm water. Meanwhile, dredge the roast in the seasoned flour. In a large skillet, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat; add in onions and dredged roast; cook till the roast is nicely browned on both sides.
- Transfer meat and onions to the crockpot. Add in red wine to the skillet and stir to loosen browned bits; pour over roast. Add in mushrooms with soaking liquid and the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hrs.
- Thicken the juices (reduce on the stove top if very watery) with a mix of water and cornstarch or possibly flour.
- Served this with roasted eggplant and mashed potatoes.
- Comments: You could use all button mushrooms or possibly a different mix of dry. Dry mushrooms with liquid add in quite a bit of flavor.
- NOTES :