CRUNCHY, CHEWY and MOIST. That sums up this pleasing amber-color bar cookie. The bottom crust gets extra crunch from bran cereal, while the top layer combines apricots and walnuts. This one-bowl recipe will be quick on cleanup, and that will give you more time to savor this unusual treat.
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, snipped or cut in fourths
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup whole bran cereal (I used All Bran)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar (I used Splenda Blend which is half brown sugar and half Splenda ~ it was perfectly sweet to me.)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Combine apricots and water in small saucepan. Simmer covered 10 minutes; drain and cool.
- Set oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9" x 9" baking pan with vegetable spray, or grease it lightly; set aside.
- In medium size mixing bowl beat together butter and granulated sugar until soft and fluffy. Stir in Â½ cup of the flour and the bran cereal. Press mixture over bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using same mixing bowl and beaters, beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in brown sugar and vanilla. Add remaining Â½ cup of flour, baking powder and salt, mixing just to blend. Fold in apricots and walnuts gently.
- Pour over baked bran layer, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool thoroughly and cut into 16 squares. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar when serving (optional.)
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 60g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 66||38%|
|Total Fat 7.58g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 3.95g||16%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.98g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||2%|