Cost per serving $0.66 view details
- 1/2 c. Unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 c. Sugar
- 3/4 c. Rolled oats
- 2/3 c. All-purpose flour
- 14 ounce Sweetened condensed lowfat milk
- 1/2 c. Unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. Brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract to 2 ts
- 1/4 c. Unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa sifted
- 11/2 c. Confectioners' sugar sifted
- Karen Kruckenberg of Harvard, Illinois earned an honorable mention in recipe for caramel oat bars from England.
- 1. Heat oven to 350'F. For base, beat butter and sugar in small bowl of electric mixer on medium-high speed till light and fluffy, 3 min. Add in oats and flour; beat till smooth. Press into greased 8-inch-square or possibly 9-inch-square baking pan. Bake till set, 20 min.
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare caramel mix. Heat condensed lowfat milk, butter and brown sugar to a boil in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Boil, stirring constantly, 5 min. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour caramel mix over cooked base; allow to cold completely.
- 3. To prepare icing, heat butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cocoa and water till smooth. Add in confectioners' sugar; stir till mixed well. Spread over cooled caramel layer. Allow to set before cutting. Store refrigerated.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 127g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 198||37%|
|Total Fat 22.59g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 14.04g||56%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 81.62g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|